Accredited webwriting diploma
- £294.50 incl VAT. Payment options
- 3 x monthly payments of £98.16. No charges, interest or credit check
- Cleland Thom
- Proficient English
- Duration / hours:
- Approximately 60-80 hours of study. You work at your own pace
- ABC | EADL | ABCC | IADL
- ABC Awards certificate of achievement | CMP diploma
- Awarding body:
- ABC awards
I couldn’t have chosen a better course. Cleland is very helpful and supportive, and the content was excellent. I covered all the things you need to think about when writing web content. The course couldn’t have been improved, it was perfect for me.
Julia Cameron: webwriting course
The course was an inspirational mix of practical tips and guidance on writing. The tutorial support provided was excellent. Work was returned promptly and with detailed, specific, and always positive comments.
Therasa Paul: webwriting course
Our webwriting course equips you with the skills you need to produce copy suitable for a wide range of websites and online publications.
As well as helping many individuals become successful webwriters, this course is also used to train staff from some of the UK's leading organisations, including NCPCC, AutoTrader and Transport for London. See our other clients
Whether you want to focus exclusively on writing for the internet, or are looking to expand your existing skills, our comprehensive webwriting course will teach you all you need to know.
Our comprehensive webwriting course will teach you to:
- write clearly and concisely
- research, check facts and proofread your work
- tailor your copy to target audiences
- format your copy for online publication
We help you develop all these areas and more, so you can confidently sell your skills as a freelancer, staff writer or other media professional.
We have an excellent track record in helping our webwriting learners find work, set up as freelancers and apply new skills to their current roles. See some examples below.
- Women’s advisory role for webwriting course student
- Online publishing success for webwriting course student
Our aim is to give you the best learning experience you've ever had, or ever will have.
Successful graduate, Julia Cameron, found our course exceeded her expectations and helped her prepare for work as a freelance writer. See her review
Our comprehensive webwriting course will teach you how to:
- write attractive, effective and fluent web copy
- incorporate key words and phrases for the purposes of search engine optimization (SEO)
- understand and apply media law and ethics to writing for the internet
- find employment or start your own business as a freelance webwriter
You will also benefit from unlimited tutor support every step of the way, including personalised feedback on every assignment.
When you graduate, you will receive the ABC awards certificate of achievment, and the accredited CMP diploma in webwriting. Both qualifications are industry recognised, and prove you are a certified webwriter.
Enquire about this course
We usually reply to enquiries within 30 minutes during office hours, and up to one working day during busier periods. Please check your spam / junk folders if you can't see our email in your inbox.
Who is this course for?
Our webwriting course is for people of all ages and abilities. We've worked with:
- beginners wanting to become professional webwriters
- people who need to write effective web copy, as part of their job roles
- website owners looking to sharpen their online writing skills
- marketing teams who need additional training
- small businesses and freelancers who want to get more clients
- experienced writers looking to refresh or redefine their skills
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards, and a Learner Unit Summary, which lists the details of all the subjects they have completed as part of the course.
This webwriting course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme
We will also email you the fully accredited CMP diploma in webwriting, which is an industry recognised qualification that proves you are a qualified webwriter.
These awards will enable you to apply for webwriting jobs, develop your career, or help you find freelance work.
As well as helping many individuals become successful webwriters, this course is also used to train staff from many respected organisations.
It's important to study online with a provider you can trust. You will be in safe hands studying with us. We have been running our online courses since 2003.
We are listed on the government's UK Register of Learning Providers, which is run by the Department for Education.
We are fully accredited by three recognised organisations:
Our accrediting bodies have reciprocal arrangments with other countries, meaning you can study this course from anywhere in the world. We have students in more than 100 countries.
Price and payment
The price of our webwriting course is £294.50 (incl. VAT). This fee can either be paid in full, or over three interest free monthly payments of £98.16.
Duration and hours
The duration of this course is approximately 60-80 hours. You fit these hours in whenever is best for you. We offer complete flexibility, with no deadlines or time limits.
This means you can study at a pace that suits you, and fit the course around your lifestyle.
On average, people take around three months to complete the course, but it doesn't matter if you take longer. The course doesn't have an expiry date.
There are no set enrolment dates. You can enrol and begin studying whenever suits you.
Student discount card
Our webwriting course enables you to get an NUS student discount card, enabling you to save money on more than 170 brands across the UK.
You can get 10% off at the Co-op, 5% off at Amazon, 10% off at Superdrug, 10% off at New Look, and 20% off at WH Smith. Plus many more.
Course tutor: Cleland Thom
This course covers everything you need to know to get started in the world of webwriting.
Lesson 01: The basics
- Explain what a webwriter writes
- Define why webwriting is different from other forms of writing
Lesson 02: Using glossaries and client briefs
- Find online glossaries and translate terms into layperson’s English
- Explain the need for a clear brief
Lesson 03: Style guides
- Explain what style is and why you need one
- Apply style to web content
Lesson 04: Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- List techniques and resources that will assist with accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Maintain accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar
Lesson 05: Avoiding jargon
- Define what jargon is
- Identify inappropriate uses of jargon
- Write words, sentences and phrases to eliminate jargon
Lesson 06: Writing effective headings
- Explain the qualities of an effective web heading
- Use principles and techniques to write heading
Lesson 07: Avoiding jargon
- Identify appropriate and inappropriate jargon
- Edit words, phrases and sentences to eliminate jargon
Lesson 08: Writing with clarity
- Make content fluent, plain and simple to read
Lesson 09: Common pitfalls
- Identify and replace cliches, and offensive or inappropriate material
- Write to suit multicultural audiences
Lesson 10: Accuracy
- Explain how web content can fail to convey information accurately
- Analyse words and phrases to make sure they convey the correct meaning
Lesson 11: Checking facts
- Explain the types of factual errors that frequently occur in content
- List techniques and processes for identifying and correcting them
Lesson 12: Writing SEO articles
- Explain what an SEO article is and what it is intended to achieve
- List the stages involved in writing an SEO article
- Demonstrate how to identify key search words
Lesson 13: Writing for social media and blogs
- Understand the basics of social media
- Discuss the differences and similarities between social media sites
- Write social media content
- Start and maintain a blog
Lesson 14: Newswriting techniques
- Explain why a webwriter needs to master newswriting techniques
- Write intros, sells and headings
- Write well-constructed content
- Adapt your writing style to suit a web audience
Lesson 15: Essential laws (A)
- Explain how the laws of copyright, trademark and libel affect the webwriter
- Apply them to a range of situations
Lesson 16: Essential laws (B)
- Explain how the laws of contempt of court, data protection and restricted identity affect the webwriter
- Apply them to a range of situations
Lesson 17: Finding work
- List strategies for promoting your web presence
- Select appropriate ways to start finding webwriting work
- Explain how to negotiate fees and tie up details of webwriting jobs
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to.
You’ll have access to our Online Learning Area where you can access course material, submit assignments, and use our extensive library of resources. You can also connect with other students if you want to.
We provide you with a personal course tutor who will mentor you through the course, so you will not be studying on your own. You can contact your tutor as often as you need to.
We usually provide same-day tutorial support on weekdays.
Download our free eBook
What will I need to study this course?
In order to study our webwriting course, you will need the following:
- access to a computer, tablet or similar device
- internet access
- Microsoft Word or equivalent: OpenOffice, iWork pages
- an email account
Seventeen reasons to choose us
Where you could fit in as a webwriter
The internet offers a wealth of opportunity for writers able to master the specialised skill of webwriting.
Our online webwriting course teaches you how to produce concise, targeted and sparkling copy for a range of paying online markets.
There are many different types of well-paid webwriting opportunities, including:
- producing marketing and promotional copy for businesses
- preparing and posting social media content
- researching and writing news, articles and features
Our webwriting course helps you develop skills in all these areas, so you feel well-prepared to tackle any type of webwriting project.
Webwriting can open lots of doors. For example, it can help you build your own successful blog. It can also provide an entry point for a career as a copywriter or journalist. Successful graduate, Therasa Paul, found our course to be an "inspirational mix of practical tips and guidance."
She was particularly impressed with the level of tutor support. With our help, she was able to switch careers and now works as a journalist. See her review
Webwriting is also a good way for novice writers to get their work published and start building that all-important portfolio. Another of our successful graduates, Jon Sibley, had his writing published just weeks after starting the course. See his news
As a webwriter, you could be:
- running your own freelance writing business, providing online content for a range of websites
- working as part of a marketing team, writing promotional material for a company or organisation
- writing journalistic articles for an online newspaper or magazine
- preparing and managing an organisation’s social media content
If you would like to take advantage of the huge demand for high-quality online content, our comprehensive webwriting course provides the ideal training.
CMP Charter Mark
The Charter Mark is our assurance of accredited educational quality.
We award it to students who have graduated from one of our courses or training programmes. It helps them to find work.
Holders are licensed to use it on their websites, stationery, and social media profiles.
The Charter Mark guarantees that holders have achieved set standards of competence in a given field.
It gives employers confidence that applicants for staff positions or freelance work have received accredited training and independent assessment.
This course gets results
Individuals and businesses across the UK and beyond testify that this course met their needs.
And don't take our word for it:
When you finish
When you complete the course, you will receive two respected qualifications:
These recognised awards will add value to your CV, and help when you apply for webwriting jobs or freelance work.
We go the extra mile
We will still be here to help you, even after you have completed your course. There’s no cut-off point.
- personal careers advice
- help with your CV
- help looking for work
- a reference when applying for jobs
What happens when I enrol?
Once you have completed your enrolment form, and have paid your fee, we will be in touch very quickly via email, usually within 15-20 minutes, during office hours. We will send your introductory materials so you can get started.
There are no set enrolment dates. You can enrol and begin studying whenever suits you.
The course was an inspirational mix of practical tips and guidance on writing. The tutorial support provided was excellent. Work was returned promptly and with detailed, specific, and always positive comments. Theresa Paul
I couldn’t have chosen a better course. Cleland is very helpful and supportive, and the content was excellent. I covered all the things you need to think about when writing web content. The course couldn’t have been improved, it was perfect for me. Julia Cameron