English writing skills course overview
Our English writing course is specifically designed for people who want to improve their written English, add value to their CV and develop their skills to use in the workplace. This course equips you with the skills to write accurately, concisely and fluently.
We all need to produce written documents and correspondence on a daily basis. If you would like to raise the standard of your written work, our online English writing skills course can help.
This course is ideal for:
- Beginners who need to develop and improve their written English.
- People who need to improve their writing in workplace.
- Staff training and development.
- Small businesses and freelancers.
- People who want to add value to their CV.
- Non-native English speakers who want to develop their written English.
Many respected business, including Royal Mail, RaceLogic UK, and WW Surveyors use this course to train their writers. And numerous individuals testify that it is practical, effective and great value for money.
Successful graduate Sally Latham, told us: “I found that the course content and support were both of the highest quality. I would recommend the course to anyone interested in developing and improving their writing.” Read her review
Starting with the basics of spelling, grammar and sentence structure, we guide you through the whole writing process. We also teach you how to eliminate jargon and streamline your writing, so you say more with fewer words!
You will also learn how to:
- Compose professional written correspondence, such as letters, emails and reports.
- Accurately summarise documents for a variety of purposes.
- Spot and correct errors in your work.
- Write focused, persuasive and user-friendly web content.
This course will help improve your understanding of English, with the support of our personal course tutor who will mark your assignments, and offer detailed and relevant advice.
You will study in our Online Learning Area, which is accessible from a computer or a mobile app. This means the course is flexible, and gives you the chance to tackle your assignments at home, at work or on the go.
If you want to develop and improve your written English, this course has a proven track record and enables you to fit your studies around your lifestyle.
English writing skills course subjects
This English writing skills course is spread over 11 comprehensive lessons. Each lesson includes a practical assignment which is designed to help you improve your writing. All assignments are personally marked and graded by your tutor, so you’ll be receiving expert feedback at each stage of the course.
Lesson 01: An introduction to English writing
- How to write attractive and effective text.
- Write with your reader in mind.
Lesson 02: Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Use techniques and resources to improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Use appropriate and adaptable English grammar in your writing.
Lesson 03: Expressing information accurately
- Analyse words and phrases to convey the correct meaning.
- Apply techniques to ensure written content is accurate.
Lesson 04: Avoiding jargon
- Define what jargon is and how to avoid it.
- Identify appropriate and inappropriate uses of jargon.
- Write words, phrases and sentences to eliminate jargon.
Lesson 05: Writing for the web
- Learn skills that make web content relevant, focused and easy to read.
- Write effective web content.
Lesson 06: Writing effective emails
- Explain the problems that emerge when writing and handling emails.
- Apply email etiquette.
- Use techniques that will make emails consistent, effective and readable.
Lesson 07: Letters and correspondence
- State why etiquette is important when writing business letters.
- List the main points of etiquette needed for business letters.
- Build the content of a letter from a skeleton.
- Write an effective covering letter for a job application.
Lesson 08: Writing summaries
- Identify when summaries are useful.
- Prepare a document for summarising.
- Reduce the number of words and prioritise the facts in a summary.
Lesson 09: Persuasive writing
- Explain when persuasive writing skills are needed.
- Apply effective persuasive writing techniques.
Lesson 10: Writing reports
- Discuss why reports are used.
- Identify what most reports contain.
- Plan, structure and write an effective report.
Lesson 11: Proofreading your work
- Learn effective techniques for checking your work.
- Proofread your work onscreen.
English writing skills course accreditation and quality
We comply with the very highest external standards. We are:
- Registered by the UK government.
- Accredited by the European Association for Distance Learning.
- Quality endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards.
Each organisation has its own standards, code of practice and complaints procedure, so you can enrol with complete confidence.
English writing skills course certifications
Our English writing skills course has been independently endorsed under the Quality Licence Scheme which is a product of ABC Awards and Certa Awards, who endorse high-quality, non-regulated courses and training programmes.
So at the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the Units the learner has completed as part of the course).
In addition, you will receive the accredited CMP diploma in English writing, which is recognised in the UK and beyond. It proves you are a certified writer.
These awards will demonstrate to potential employees that you have good written English skills, and can write clearly and fluently. You can use the certifications on your CV, and can also apply your new skills in the workplace.
English writing skills course tutor: Ian Campbell
Blogger | Writer | Editor | Journalist
As an English writing skills course learner, you will work 1-2-1 with Ian Campbell, who is a professional writer and editor.
Ian has been involved in writing throughout his career.
As a journalist, he developed the ability to write clearly, concisely and with the reader in mind.
As a member of management, he became skilled in writing effective memos, blog posts, reports, emails and other documents to directors and management team members.
He will mentor you, mark your assignments, and give you expert advice.
Find our more about Ian
English writing skills course payment options
This English writing skills course costs £494.50 including VAT. This is all you pay. There are no hidden charges, and we have a range of payment methods, so you can purchase your course wherever you live.
You can either pay the fee in full, or with four monthly instalments of £123.62 including VAT.
What happens when I enrol?
There are no set enrolment dates. You can begin studying when you want to.
Once you have completed your enrolment form and paid your fee, you will receive a login to our Online Learning Area.
There, you will find your learning materials and other resources. You can start studying when you want to.