Our online freelance journalism course trains you to write compelling news and articles for both print and online publications, on a range of topics. This course is an ideal place for beginners to start. It covers all of the journalism basics and teaches you to work as a professional freelance journalist.
Our learners get articles published most days. Many of them have gone on to become successful freelancers and make a good living from writing. Freelance journalism is a great opportunity to turn a pastime or interest into a lucrative part-time job or full-time career.
Successful freelance journalism course graduate, Adele Land, told us “Within three months of beginning the course I secured work as a freelance journalist for a local newspaper. This course met my expectations in every way.” Read her full review
This comprehensive online course is ideal for:
- People who want to start a freelance business.
- People who want to break into the journalism industry.
- Existing freelance journalists who want an endorsed award to attract more clients.
- People who want to develop and refresh their existing journalism skills.
Multimedia and print publications worldwide have a constant need for original, interesting and topical content. Many rely on freelancers to deliver that content.
Our freelance journalism course will show you how to develop saleable ideas, identify suitable markets and approach assigning editors. It will also show you how to:
- Use your own skills, experiences, qualifications and opinions to produce article ideas.
- Source information, conduct research and carry out effective interviews.
- Write news, articles and features for digital and print publications.
- Apply media law and ethics.
- Sell your work and get paid.
You will also learn essential journalism skills, including finding sources, record-keeping, feature writing and covering live events.
See a full list of course subjects
You will study in our Online Learning Area, which is accessible from a computer or a mobile app. This means the course is flexible, and gives you the chance to tackle practical, real-world journalism tasks at home, at work or on the go.
We offer unlimited tutor support on all of our courses. On this course, you will work with Julian Brouwer, who is a freelance journalist, writer, subeditor and proofreader. He will help you every step of the way.
He will also give you personal feedback on every assignment, answer your questions and provide expert careers guidance, so you get the very best out of the course.
Another successful learner, Clive Maclennan, told us: “Communication was first class and very quick – sometimes within the hour. The tutorial support was second to none.” Read his full review
With the right training, you could become a regular contributor of:
- In-depth features for consumer and business magazines.
- Blog posts and online articles.
- News stories and features for local newspapers.
- Reviews, columns, letters and fillers.
If you enjoy writing, then becoming a certified freelance journalist is a great way to earn good money and express your passion.