Business writing course subjects
This course covers every aspect of business writing. Each lesson includes a practical assignment which is based on the real world of business writing. All assignments are personally marked and graded by your tutor, so you’ll be receiving expert feedback at each stage of the course.
Lesson 01: The basics
- Learn how to write attractive and effective text.
- Write with your reader in mind.
Lesson 02: Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Use techniques and resources to improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Use appropriate and adaptable English grammar in your writing.
Lesson 03: Expressing information accurately
- Analyse words and phrases to convey the correct meaning.
- Apply techniques to ensure written content is accurate.
Lesson 04: Avoiding jargon
- Define what jargon is and how to avoid it.
- Identify appropriate and inappropriate uses of jargon.
- Write words, phrases and sentences to eliminate jargon.
Lesson 05: Writing for the web
- Learn skills that make web content relevant, focused and easy to read.
- Write effective web content.
Lesson 06: Effective emails
- Explain the problems that emerge when writing and handling emails.
- Apply email etiquette.
- Use techniques that will make emails consistent, effective and readable.
Lesson 07: Writing impressive letters
- State why etiquette is important when writing business letters.
- List the main points of etiquette needed for business letters.
- Build the content of a letter from a skeleton.
- Write an effective covering letter for a job application.
Lesson 08: Writing summaries
- Identify when summaries are useful.
- Prepare a document for summarising.
- Reduce the number of words and prioritise the facts in a summary.
Lesson 09: Persuasive writing
- Identify when persuasive writing skills are needed.
- Apply effective persuasive writing techniques.
Lesson 10: Writing reports
- Explain why reports are used.
- Identify what most reports contain.
- Plan, structure and write an effective report.
Lesson 11: Writing for sales and promotions
- Explain and use techniques used in promotional copy, which covers anything to do with selling to businesses or consumers, including:
- Sales proposals.
- Point-of-sale materials (posters, cut-outs etc).
Lesson 12: Using social media and blogs
After studying this lesson, you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of social media.
- Discuss the differences and similarities between social media sites.
- Discuss the business writer’s role in social media marketing.
- Explain how to write social media copy.
- Explain what a blog is and how to create an effective one.
- Set up, maintain and grow your own blog.