Self publishing course subjects
This course covers every aspect of self-publishing. Each lesson includes a practical assignment which is based on the real world of self-publishing. All assignments are personally marked and graded by your tutor, so you’ll be receiving expert feedback at each stage of the course.
Lesson 01: Introduction
- List the advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing.
- Discuss what self-publishing entails.
- Describe your self-publishing options.
- Discuss your objectives.
Lesson 02: Preparation
- Choose your readers and category.
- Create your keywords, title and subtitle.
- Create your brand, website and social media.
- Write your blurb and bio.
Lesson 03: Plan your book
- Set up your writing space and plan your strategy.
- Organise and back up your documents.
- Plan your book’s layout.
- Choose a house style.
Lesson 04: Format your book
- Work with MS Word and KDP templates.
- Work with MS Word formatting styles.
- Start writing / formatting your book.
- Create the front and back matter.
Lesson 05: Edit your book
- Commission beta readers to test your book.
- Do a basic copy edit and proofread.
- Brief a copy editor and proofreader.
- Get your book reviewed.
Lesson 06: Upload your book
- Set up a Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) account.
- Start your KDP project.
- Get an International Standard Book number (ISBN).
- Upload your manuscript to KDP.
Lesson 07: Create your book cover
- Explain why a good cover is important.
- Discuss cover elements.
- Design a cover using KDP cover creator.
Lesson 08: Publish your book
- Proof your book.
- Set up your pricing plan.
- Publish your print book on Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP).
- Publish your book on Kindle.
Lesson 09: Power up your sales
- Finalise your sales details.
- Perfect your bio.
- Perfect your blurb.
- Get good reviews.
Lesson 10: Launch and market your book
- Use Amazon Marketing Services.
- Launch your book.
- Market your book.
- Track your sales.