Accredited mobile journalism diploma
Mobile journalism level 3 diploma
- £294.50 incl VAT. Payment options
- 3 x monthly payments of £98.16. No charges, interest or credit checks.
- Andy Carter
- An interest in multimedia. Take our journalism challenge!
- Duration / hours:
- Approximately 60-80 hours of study. You work at your own pace
- ABC | EADL | ABCC | IADL
- ABC Awards level 3 diploma
- Awarding body:
- ABC Awards
Very quick turnaround time for grading assignments and some great constructive feedback. For anyone new to social media, or for someone who wants to build on their knowledge, this is an excellent starting point.
Pam Sidwell: social media marketing course
Our mobile journalism course equips you with the skills you need for a successful career as an ‘on the go’ multimedia reporter and writer.
Today, anyone with a smartphone and internet access can call themselves an amateur ‘mobile journalist’.
However, our online mobile journalism course helps you stand out from the crowd by teaching you the skills you need to become in-demand multimedia professional.
Digital and online publications are in need of topical, relevant and professional-quality mobile content 24/7, including:
- live news reports
- photographs, video and audio, taken and uploaded on the go
- social media output
- articles and live blog posts
We will teach you how to find suitable multimedia outlets and produce the content they require.
You will also learn key mobile journalism skills, including record-keeping, covering live events and finding sources.
Our comprehensive online mobile journalism course will teach you how to:
- develop ideas suitable for a range of multimedia platforms
- source information, conduct research and carry out effective interviews
- write news, articles and features for a range of digital publications
- create and edit videos, podcasts, images and other audio-visual content
- apply media law and ethics to the world of mobile journalism
- sell your work and get paid
When you graduate, you will receive the respected CMP Charter Mark as well as an accredited diploma.
Enquire about this course
We will reply within one working day. Please check your spam / junk folders if you can't see our email in your inbox.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards, and a Learner Unit Summary, which lists the details of all the subjects they have completed as part of the course.
This mobile journalism course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme
We will also email you the fully accredited CMP diploma in mobile journalism, which is an industry recognised qualification that proves you are a qualified journalist.
These awards will enable you to apply for a range of journalism jobs, develop your career, or help you find freelance work.
This course covers everything you need to know to get started as a mobile journalist.
Lesson 01: The basics of being a mobile journalist
- Examine what mobile journalism is and how its techniques are becoming commonplace
- Analyse mobile journalism content to understand how it works in practice
Lesson 02: Newswriting techniques
- Write articles that are suitable for print, the web and social media
- Attract the reader's attention by writing compelling starts to your articles
- Maintain the reader's interest in your articles from start to finish
Lesson 03: The hardware you’ll need to be an efficient mobile journalist
- Examine the need for additional equipment for good sound, lighting and camera support
Lesson 04: The software to use to enhance your mobile journalism
- Analyse why native apps and software might restrict your mobile journalism
- Examine some of the additional tools available and how they can be used effectively
Lesson 05: Filming and photography techniques
- Learn basic techniques for capturing professional quality images and video
Lesson 06: Covering a news story
Learn how to cover a news story using your mobile journalism skills and tools
Lesson 07: Post-production and publishing
- Analyse the software and apps available for your post-production needs
- Edit, upload and publish your news content
Lesson 08: Independent Press Standards Organisation: regulatory code
- Adhere to the media's regulatory framework in your digital journalism activities
Where you could fit in as a mobile journalist
If you have a smartphone and are active on social media, you are already on your way to becoming a mobile journalist.
Our online mobile journalism course can help you build on your existing skills and train you to produce quality digital content publications will want to publish, and pay for!
Mobile journalism is a fast-moving area. News can break anytime, anywhere, and the mobile journalist is right there to cover events as they happen.
Our online mobile journalism course prepares so you are ready when the opportunity arises!
To succeed as a mobile journalist, you need to be able to identify newsworthy stories, produce and edit suitable content ‘on the go’, and publish it across a range of digital platforms.
You also need to have solid journalism skills and knowledge of how the world of mobile journalism interacts with other digital and print media.
One of our former students, Stuart Littleford, recommends our multimedia courses to anyone involved in this field. He learnt how to produce high quality content for national media organisations, as well as how to maximise revenue from his online news sites.
As a mobile journalist, you could be:
- using your smartphone to break news stories across all the major social media platforms
- creating and uploading topical videos, podcasts and audio-visual content
- publishing viral blog posts and in-depth articles for online publication
- using your mobile technology skills to produce professional multimedia content
Training in mobile and multimedia journalism can also prepare you for a career as a multimedia journalist for a leading publication.
If you would like to become part of the digital revolution, our comprehensive online mobile journalism course can help you put your smartphone to good use, and get paid for your efforts.
CMP Charter Mark
The Charter Mark is our assurance of accredited educational quality.
We award it to students who have graduated from one of our courses or training programmes. It helps them to find work.
Holders are licensed to use it on their websites, stationery, and social media profiles.
The Charter Mark guarantees that holders have achieved set standards of competence in a given field.
It gives employers confidence that applicants for staff positions or freelance work have received accredited training and independent assessment.
Course tutor: Andy Carter
Group head of news | comms director and consultant
BBC | Sky News | Virgin Radio | TLRC | Leeds Council | Northumbria University | Be Ambitious
Andy has worked for the UK’s top broadcasting companies, and was group head of news for 27 local radio stations.
He will mark your work, answer your questions and give you friendly help and advice.
This course gets results
Our graduates get articles published most days. Many of them have gone on to become successful freelancers, and make a good living from writing.
We'll connect you with the right people
Mobile journalism is about knowing the right people: the editors, the publishers and the staff journalists who make the decisions.
Our tutors have a huge range of active contacts on newspapers, magazines, websites, blogs and radio / TV stations. They can make personal introductions for you when it is appropriate.
We have arrangements with top news and feature agencies. If your work is good enough, they will sell it for you, and split the proceeds with you 60-40%. You get the 60%!
And we also have databases with the contact details of thousands of UK newspaper, magazine and radio journalists - essential when you are selling work, looking for work experience or job hunting.
Many of our students already have the experiences, skills and relationships to produce article ideas.
We have the expertise to turn those ideas into marketable content, and the contacts to help them get it published.
You will have access to our Online Learning Area, where you can:
- download course materials
- submit assignments
- use our college libraries and resources
- chat to other students
- keep up-to-date with college news
Our turn-around time for marking work is three working days. We usually provide same-day tutorial support on weekdays.
Download our free eBook
When you finish
When you complete the course, you will receive two respected qualifications:
These recognised awards will add value to your CV, and help when you apply for journalism jobs or freelance work.
What you need to study mobile journalism
- access to a computer, tablet or similar device
- internet access
- Microsoft Word or equivalent: OpenOffice, iWork pages
- an email account
- a camera and a video recorder. Smartphones or tablets are acceptable