Accredited webediting diploma
- £294.50 incl VAT. Payment options
- 3 x monthly payments of £98.16. No charges, interest or credit checks.
- Ian Campbell
- Good English. Take our webediting challenge:
- Duration / hours:
- Approximately 40-60 hours of study. You work at your own pace
- ABC | EADL | ABCC | IADL
- ABC Awards certificate of achievement | CMP diploma
- Awarding body:
- ABC awards
A good variety of content which provides the foundations for a solid understanding of the course overall. I feel that my writing/editing skills have been enhanced. I have a better understanding of website interaction and accessibility issues.
Clare Mills: webediting course
As an experienced print journalist, I was keen to enhance my understanding of editing for the web. This course teaches first-rate writing skills first, and then demonstrates how you can then use those to help edit a first-rate website.
Nick Soldinger: webediting course
I have learnt a lot about the different aspects required to edit websites. The course has given me a lot of confidence in my web editing
Serena King: webediting course
I found that CMP constantly offered structured advice and guidance throughout the duration of the course ...
Hotcourses review: webediting course
The tutorial support was very good, I received great feedback for any questions I had. The course content was very good as well. I learned how to analyse websites with a more professional eye.
I have already recommended it to multiple friends.
Jenifer Eden: webediting course
My course was specialised with better blogging and webediting / writing combined. After discussion with my tutor the course was tailor made and exactly what I needed. The course was perfect for me. I have recommended CMP to friends.
Alistair McLauchlan: webediting course
The web editing course fitted perfect into my life. Whenever I had time, I worked on it. The marking of my assignments was very quick. As a native German speaker, I also feel now confident writing in English. I can recommend this course.
Peggy Hosemann: webediting course
The course provides thorough practical information on all the main topics and is enhanced by pertinent tutorial tips and advice that only an expert on the reality of it could give.
I can’t see how there can be a better online course in the UK.
Martin Wickens: webediting course
An excellent experience, delivered by a consummate professional team. CMP offered structured advice and guidance throughout the course. I worked at my own pace, was guided by CMP, and managed to get advice at the drop of a hat.
Paul Chisholm: webediting course
This course provides a thorough introduction to webediting. It effectively demystifies an area which I had always been wary of and did not know how to approach. I can't recommend this course highly enough. The tutorial support was superb.
Alex Hopkins: webediting course
Our webediting course equips you with the technical and non-technical skills you need to find work or launch your own freelance business.
As well as helping many individuals become successful webeditors, this course is also used to train staff from some of the UK's leading organisations, including The Open University, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and The British Council. See our other clients
Webediting is a specialised and highly in-demand skill. With the right training, you could become a confident and proficient webeditor able to polish text until it sparkles!
Our webediting course is open to anyone, even complete beginners. It is particularly suitable if you are:
- a working writer, editor or journalist looking to update your skills
- a career changer or someone seeking satisfying part-time work
- a budding blogger or entrepreneur who wants to create attractive and effective webpages
- someone who wants to learn more about working on the web!
Successful graduate, Serena King, used the course to update her print-based skills and boost her employability. See her review
Starting with the basics, we teach you all you need to know. We also offer unlimited tutor support throughout.
Another successful graduate, Jenifer Eden, was impressed with the level of feedback she received. See her review
We have an excellent track record in helping our webediting learners find work, set up as successful freelancers and apply new skills to their current roles. See some examples below.
Our comprehensive webediting course will teach you how to:
- deliver copy which is clear, readable and optimised for search engines
- work to client briefs and adhere to style guides
- build webpages which are simple to navigate and attract lots of monthly visitors
You will also benefit from unlimited tutor support every step of the way, including personalised feedback on every assignment.
When you graduate, you will receive the ABC awards certificate of achievment, and the accredited CMP diploma in webediting. Both qualifications are industry recognised, and prove you are a certified webeditor.
Enquire about this course
We usually reply to enquiries within 30 minutes during office hours, and up to one working day during busier periods. Please check your spam / junk folders if you can't see our email in your inbox.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards, and a Learner Unit Summary, which lists the details of all the subjects they have completed as part of the course.
This webediting course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme
We will also email you the fully accredited CMP diploma in webediting, which is an industry recognised qualification that proves you are a qualified webeditor.
These awards will enable you to apply for webediting jobs, develop your career, or help you find freelance work.
As well as helping many individuals become successful webeditors, this course is also used to train staff from many respected organisations.
It's important to study online with a provider you can trust. You will be in safe hands studying with us. We have been running our online courses since 2003.
We are listed on the government's UK Register of Learning Providers, which is run by the Department for Education.
We are fully accredited by three recognised organisations:
Our accrediting bodies have reciprocal arrangments with other countries, meaning you can study this course from anywhere in the world. We have students in more than 100 countries.
Price and payment
The price of our webediting course is £294.50 (incl. VAT). This fee can either be paid in full, or over three interest free monthly payments of £98.16.
Duration and hours
The duration of this course is approximately 40-60 hours. You fit these hours in whenever is best for you. We offer complete flexibility, with no deadlines or time limits.
This means you can study at a pace that suits you, and fit the course around your lifestyle.
On average, people take around three months to complete the course, but it doesn't matter if you take longer. The course doesn't have an expiry date.
There are no set enrolment dates. You can enrol and begin studying whenever suits you.
Student discount card
Our webediting course enables you to get an NUS student discount card, enabling you to save money on more than 170 brands across the UK.
You can get 10% off at the Co-op, 5% off at Amazon, 10% off at Superdrug, 10% off at New Look, and 20% off at WH Smith. Plus many more.
Course tutor: Ian Campbell
Editor | subeditor| journalist
MEN Media |Trinity Mirror |Liverpool Daily Post
We provide you with a personal tutor who will mentor you through the course, mark your assignments, and give you expert advice whenever you need it.
All our tutors are professionals who are still working in their sectors. They will be there to help you every step of the way. And you can contact them whenever you need to.
Our webediting course tutor is Ian Campbell, an experienced journalist and webeditor with more than 25 years' experience.
Ian has worked for Daily Post, and the Manchester Evening News, as a page designer and subeditor. He also used to edit a local newspaper and website within the M.E.N. Media group.
He will mark your work, answer your questions and give you friendly help and advice.
This course covers everything you need to know to get started in the world of webediting.
Lesson 01: The basics
- Explain what a webeditor does
- Define which products a webeditor edits
- Explain the relationship between webediting, webwriting and proofreading
Lesson 02: Using glossaries and client briefs
- Find online glossaries and translate some terms into layman’s English
- Explain the need for a clear brief or design style guide
- Define the contents of an effective brief or design style guide
- Edit copy with the intended reader and site purpose in mind
Lesson 03: Style guides
- Explain what style is and why you need a style guide
- Apply style to web copy
Lesson 04: Spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Maintain accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar
- List techniques and resources that will assist with accurate spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Apply the rules of spelling, punctuation and grammar to a range of exercises
Lesson 05: Avoiding jargon
- Define and identify appropriate and inappropriate jargon
- Edit words, phrases and sentences to eliminate jargon
Lesson 06: Editing with clarity
- Explain and apply editing techniques that make copy fluent, plain and simple to read
Lesson 07: Common pitfalls
- Edit copy so that clichés are identified and replaced
- Identify and replace cliches, and offensive or inappropriate material
- Write to suit multicultural audiences
Lesson 08: Accuracy
- Explain how web copy can fail to convey information accurately
- Analyse words and phrases to make sure they convey the correct meaning
Lesson 09: Checking facts
- Explain the types of factual errors that frequently occur in copy
- List techniques and processes for identifying and correcting them
Lesson 10: Essential laws (A)
- Explain how the laws of copyright, trademark and libel effect the copy editor
- Apply them to a range of situations
Lesson 11: Essential laws (B)
- Explain how the laws of contempt of court, data protection and restricted identity affect the webeditor
- Apply them to a range of situations
Lesson 12: Effective presentation
- Explain the difference between editing text and editing the design of a webpage
- List the design aspects that an editor must check
Lesson 13: Web page essentials
- Explain the factors determining the content of a webpage
- Apply these factors to building a webpage
- Define the website tools and applications available to a webeditor
Lesson 14: Building page content
- Use links, downloads, contact details and other building blocks to help visitors use a webpage
Lesson 15: Accessibility
- Explain what the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) says about website access
- Define disabled user groups and the equipment that is available to them.
- List the tools and techniques a webeditor can use to make a site DDA compliant
- Explain what alt text is and how to write it
- List checks that can be made on a website to make is DDA compliant
Lesson 16: Basic SEO
- Define the term SEO
- Explain the importance of working ethically
- List strategies a webeditor can use to achieve effective search engine results pages
- Use SEO terminology
- Explain how web surfers use search results
Lesson 17: Achieving interaction and engagement
- Explain the two main types of visitors to a website, and how to meet their needs
- Explain the benefits of an interactive website
- Select and use interactive tools
Lesson 18: Webediting software
Online courses are different. But most people find they are more effective and convenient than face-to-face study.
You study when, and where you want to.
You’ll have access to our Online Learning Area where you can access course material, submit assignments, and use our extensive library of resources. You can also connect with other students if you want to.
We provide you with a personal course tutor who will mentor you through the course, so you will not be studying on your own. You can contact your tutor as often as you need to.
We usually provide same-day tutorial support on weekdays.
Download our free eBook
What will I need to study this course?
In order to study our webediting course, you will need the following:
- access to a computer, tablet or similar device
- internet access
- Microsoft Word or equivalent: OpenOffice, iWork pages
- an email account
Seventeen reasons to choose us
Where you could fit into webediting
Each time you read a great piece of web writing or land on a particularly user-friendly website, you are most likely seeing the work of a talented webeditor.
Our online webediting course will help you master this specialist skill and find paid work.
To succeed as a webeditor, you need the ability to:
- revise copy, including correcting spelling, grammar and punctuation errors
- check copy for accuracy, legal compliance and cultural meaning
- understand the specific requirements of the web, including search engine optimisation (SEO), layout and webpage usability
- get to grips with webediting software
This might all sound daunting. However, our webediting course has been developed to lead you through each stage, building on your existing skills and giving you plenty of opportunity to practice.
Successful graduate, Alex Hopkins, found our course to be a "thorough introduction" to webediting and completely demystified the topic. See his review
As a trained webeditor, you could be:
- working on a variety of exciting, challenging and creative web-based projects
- creating and publishing web pages that search engines and visitors love
- offering clients and employers a complete package of writing and editing skills
- enjoying the freedom of running your own freelance business
Course graduate and working journalist, Nick Soldinger, found our course enhanced his understanding of editing for the web. He also came to realise the creative potential editing for the web offers. See his review
If you would like to become an effective online editor, with full support and guidance every step of the way, our comprehensive webediting course will help you master this in-demand skill at your own pace.
CMP Charter Mark
The Charter Mark is our assurance of accredited educational quality.
We award it to students who have graduated from one of our courses or training programmes. It helps them to find work.
Holders are licensed to use it on their websites, stationery, and social media profiles.
The Charter Mark guarantees that holders have achieved set standards of competence in a given field.
It gives employers confidence that applicants for staff positions or freelance work have received accredited training and independent assessment.
This course gets results
Individuals and businesses across the UK and beyond testify that this course met their needs.
And don't take our word for it:
When you finish
When you complete the course, you will receive two respected qualifications:
These recognised awards will add value to your CV, and help when you apply for webediting jobs or freelance work.
We go the extra mile
We will still be here to help you, even after you have completed your course. There’s no cut-off point.
- personal careers advice
- help with your CV
- help looking for work
- a reference when applying for jobs
What happens when I enrol?
Once you have completed your enrolment form, and have paid your fee, we will be in touch very quickly via email, usually within 15-20 minutes, during office hours. We will send your introductory materials so you can get started.
There are no set enrolment dates. You can enrol and begin studying whenever suits you.
As an experienced print journalist, I was keen to enhance my understanding of editing for the web. This course teaches first-rate writing skills first, and then demonstrates how you can then use those to help edit a first-rate website. Nick Soldinger
The webediting course fitted perfect into my life. Whenever I had time, I worked on it. The marking of my assignments was very quick. As a native German speaker, I also feel now confident writing in English. I can recommend this course. Peggy Hosemann