Copywriting course subjects
This course covers every aspect of copywriting. Each lesson includes a practical assignment which is based on the real world of copywriting. All assignments are personally marked and graded by your tutor, so you’ll be receiving expert feedback at each stage of the course.
Lesson 01: Copywriting basics
- Examine what a copywriter does, and the qualities they need.
- Describe different types of copy.
- Recognise different good and bad copy.
Lesson 02: Copy presentation
- Submit copy to various platforms in recognised formats.
- Create an industry-standard cover sheet.
Lesson 03: Researching your subject
- Carry out fast and effective internet research.
- Use the information to improve copy.
Lesson 04: Terminology
- Be aware of specialist copywriting terminology.
- Locate online glossaries.
- Translate common terms in to layman’s English.
Lesson 05: Industry codes of practice
- Explain the need for codes of practice within the copywriting industry.
- State where to find the relevant codes online.
- Understand what the codes say and how to apply them.
Lesson 06: How to write great copy
- Define the qualities needed to make copy attractive and effective.
- Explain the need to write with your reader in mind.
- Explain the importance of good spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Define the techniques that apply to most spheres of writing.
Lesson 07: Writing effective headlines
- Explain the qualities of an effective headline.
- Describe the principles and techniques involved in writing headlines.
Lesson 08: Writing effective advertising content
- Define what an advertising feature is.
- Explain why advertising features are used and why they can be effective.
- Explain how to choose original subjects for advertising features.
- List the writing techniques used to make advertising features effective.
Lesson 09: Writing direct mail and email
- Explain when direct mailshots can be used effectively.
- Define the qualities that help direct mail copy to have impact and success.
- Explain how headings can be used effectively.
- Define how email shots are different and the qualities needed to make effective use of them.
Lesson 10: Writing press releases
- Define the qualities that help press releases to have impact and success.
- List the occasions when the use of press releases is appropriate.
- Define the importance of a press letter and when it can be used effectively.
- Explain the importance of presenting, and sending, press releases correctly.
Lesson 11: Writing press advertisements
- Understand what a press ad is.
- See the briefing process and your role within it.
- Work on the four key elements of an ad.
- How to write a press ad.
- Write for business to business publications.
Lesson 12: Writing for sales and promotion
- Explain and use techniques used in promotional copy, which covers anything to do with selling to businesses or consumers, including:
- Sales proposals.
- Point-of-sale materials (posters, cut-outs etc).
Lesson 13: Leaflets and brochures
- Understand what a brochure and leaflet are and how they compare.
- See why a business would choose either a brochure or a leaflet.
- Identify the key elements included in a brochure and leaflet.
- Write a successful leaflet.
- Produce a brochure containing the main components.
Lesson 14: Writing articles for SEO
- Explain what an SEO article is and what it is intended to achieve.
- List the stages involved in writing an SEO article.
- Demonstrate how to identify key search words.
Lesson 15: Using social media and blogs
- Understand the basics of social media.
- Discuss the differences and similarities between social media sites.
- Discuss the copywriter’s role in social media marketing.
- Explain how to write social media copy.
- Know what a blog is, and how to start and maintain one.
Lesson 16: Pay per click ads
- Understand what a pay per click advert is.
- Look at pay per click advertising across the web.
- Gain an understanding of the importance of Google AdWords.
- Write an AdWords advert with keyword identification.
- Help clients with Google AdWords and earn a living.
Lesson 17: Newsletters
- Write and compile a newsletter.
- Understand what is included in a newsletter.
- Compile newsletters for a specific audience.
- Explain the relevance of newsletters to ecommerce.
Lesson 18: Brand names and sales presentations
- Understand how to develop a brand name.
- Write sales presentations.
- Find out where outdoor advertising is relevant and how to engage with it.
Lesson 19: Finding work and developing your career
- List strategies for promoting your web presence.
- Select appropriate ways to start finding copywriting and editing work.
- Explain how to negotiate fees and tie up details of copywriting jobs.